Object Removal And Region Filling In ImageAuthor(s) : Pankaj Bhaurao Bagal1, Ravi Kateeyare
Volume & Issue : VOLUME 3 / 2016 , ISSUE 2
Page(s) : 20-24
ISSN (Online): 2394-3858
ISSN (Print) : 2394-3866
Sometimes people have been taken photographs, there has been the need to remove unwanted artifacts or damaged areas from these images. This is something previously conducted by experts, using computer tools and extensive user input to produce a visually realistic result. The difficulty of the problem lies in how to fill the missing regions, such that they are perceptually unnoticeable, whilst minimizing user input. Object removal and region filling algorithm proposed for removing unwanted objects from digital images. The challenge is to fill the hole that is left behind in visually plausible way. This problem has been addressed by two classes of algorithms: i) “Texture synthesis” for generating large image regions from sample textures, and ii) “Inpainting” techniques for filling in small gaps. Each is being used for images with different characteristics. This dissertation is concerned with investigating whether advances in texture synthesis techniques contain the necessary functionality to cross the divide between the two and successfully fill holes in a variety of images. The advantage of the proposed techniques is that it limits the amount of knowledge required by the user, and performs the region filling autonomously, once started.
Image Processing, Texture Synthesis, Inpainting, Region filling
- A. Criminisi, P. Perez and K Toyama, “Region Filling and Object Removal by Exemplar based Image Inpainting”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Volume 13, Issue 9, Sept. 2004, 2004.
- M. Bertalmio, G. Sapiro, V. Caselles, and C. Ballester, "Image inpainting," SIGGRAPH, pp.417–424, July 2000.
- Michael Ashikhmin, “Synthesizing natural textures.”, 2001 ACM Symposium on Interactive Graphics (March 2001), 217–226. ISBN 1-58113-292-1.
- Iddo Drori, Daniel Cohen-Or and Hezy Yeshurun, “Fragment Based Image Completion”, ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2003, Volume 22 Issue 3 July 2003, 2003.
- Alexei A. Efros, Thomas K. Leung, "Texture Synthesis by Non-Parametric Sampling,"iccv, p. 1033, Seventh International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV'99) - Volume 2, 1999.