Numerical Investigation Of A Novel Heat SinkAuthor(s) : Sreenath V R, Roopesh Kaimal, Pradeep M Kamath
Volume & Issue : VOLUME 3 / 2016 , ISSUE 1
Page(s) : 16-21
ISSN (Online): 2394-3858
ISSN (Print) : 2394-3866
In this paper, performance of a wave fin heat sink with three sections of stepwise decreasing hydraulic diameter is numerically investigated. A steady state, 3-D, laminar flow model was assumed. The channel is investigated by varying the flow rate (25mL/s - 40 mL/s) and wave amplitude. The performance of wave fin heat sink was compared with plate fin in terms of pressure drop penalty parameter, heat transfer enhancement parameter and performance factor. Heat transfer was found to be enhanced significantly and pressure drop penalty associated with the modified geometry was found to be less significant when compared to heat transfer enhancement. Temperature rise was moderate leading to temperature uniformity along the length of the channel.
Wave Fin, Heat Sink, Minichannel, Varying Channel Geometry, Heat Transfer.
- Morris B Bowers, Issam Mudawar , “Two-Phase Electronic Cooling Using Mini-Channel and Micro Channel Heat Sinks: Part 1 —Design Criteria and Heat Diffusion Constraints”, Journal of Heat Transfer 116 (1994)
- Reynaud S, Debray F, Franc J. P, Maitre T, “Hydrodynamics and Heat Transfer in Two-Dimensional Minichannels” International Journal of Heat Mass transfer 48(2005), 3197–3211.
- X.L. Xie, W.Q. Tao, Y.L. He, “Numerical study of turbulent heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics in a water cooled minichannel heat sink”, Journal of Electron. Packag. 129 (2007) 247-255.
- J.H. Ryu, D.H. Choi , S.J. Kim, “ Three dimensional numerical optimisation of a manifold microchannel heat sink”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 46 (2003) 1553–1562
- W. Escher, B. Michel, D. Poulikakos, “A novel high performance, ultra thin heat sink for electronics”, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 31 (2010) 586–598
- Gong L, Kota K, Tao W, Joshi Y, “Parametric Numerical Study of Flow and Heat Transfer in Microchannels With Wavy Walls,” Journal of Heat Transfer 133 (2011)
- M A Ebadian, C X Lin, ”A Review of High Heat Flux Heat Removal Technologies”, Journal of Heat Transfer 133(2011)
- Ijam, R. Saidur, “Nanofluid as a coolant for electronic devices (cooling of electronic devices),” Applied Thermal Engineering 32 (2012) 76- 82
- N.A. Roberts, D.G. Walker, “Convective performance of nanofluids in commercial electronics cooling applications”, Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (2010) 2499-2504
- C.T. Nguyen, G. Roy, C. Gauthier, N. Galanis, “Heat transfer enhancement using Al2O3-water nanofluid for an electronic liquid cooling system", Applied Thermal Engineering 27 (2007) 1501-1506
- H.L. Wang, H.C. Wu, K. Wang, T.C. Hung, R.J. Yang, “A study of mini-channel thermal module design for achieving high stability and high capability in electronic cooling”, Applied Thermal Engineering 51 (2013) 1144–1153
- S.A. Jajja, W. Ali, H.M. Ali, A.M. Ali, “Water cooled minichannel heat sinks for
- microprocessor cooling: effect of fin spacing”, Applied Thermal Engineering 64 (2014) 76–82
- M. Rafati, A.A. Hamidi, M.S. Niaser, “Applications of nanofluids in computer cooling systems heat transfer performance of nanofluids”, Applied Thermal Engineering (2012) 9-14.
- Yu-Tong Mu, Li Chen, Ya-Ling He, Wen-Quan Tao, “Numerical study on temperature uniformity in a novel mini-channel heat sink with different flow field configurations”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 85 (2015) 147–157
- I.K. Karathanassis, E. Papanicolaou , V. Belessiotis , G.C. Bergeles, “Experimental and numerical evaluation of an elongated plate-fin heat sink with three sections of stepwise varying channel width”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 84 (2015) 16–34
- I.K. Karathanassis, E. Papanicolaou, V. Belessiotis , G.C. Bergeles, “Three dimensional flow effects on forced convection heat transfer in a channel with step wise varying width”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences 67 (2013) 177-191
- I.K. Karathanassis, E. Papanicolaou , V. Belessiotis , G.C. Bergeles, “Effect of secondary flows due to buoyancy and contraction on heat transfer in a two section plate fin heat sink”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 61 (2013) 583–597
- Giovanni Loza, Umberto Merlo, “An experimental investigation of heat transfer and friction losses of interrupted and wavy fins for fin and tube heat exchangers”, International Journal of Refrigeration 24 (2001) 409-416
- Wei-Mon Yan, Pay-Jen Sheen, “Heat transfer and friction characteristics of fin and tube heat exchangers”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 43 (2000) 1651-1659
- Raj M. Manglik, Jiehai Zhang, Arun Muley, “Low reynold number forced convection in three dimensional wavy plate fin compact channel- Fin density effects”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 48 (2005) 1439–1449
- Mao-Yu Wena, Ching-Yen Ho, “Heat transfer enhancement in fin and tube heat exchanger with improved fin design”, Applied Thermal Engineering 29 (2009) 1050–1057
- N. Nagarani, K.Mayilsamy, A.Murugesan, G.Sathesh Kumar, “Review of utilisation of extended surfaces in heat transfer problems”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 29 (2014) 604–613
- Junqi Dong , Jiangping Chen , Wenfeng Zhang , Jinwei Hua, “Experimental and numerical investigation of thermal -hydraulic performance in wavy fin-and-flat tube heat exchangers”, Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (2010) 1377-1386
- L Gong, K Kota, W Q Tao, Y Joshi “Parametric numerical study of flow and heat transfer in microchannel with wavy walls”, ASME journal of heat transfer (2011) vol 133
- L Gong, K Kota, W Q Tao, Y Joshi “Thermal performance of microchannel with wavy walls for electronic cooling”, IEEE transactions on components, packaging and manufacturing technology,(2011) vol 1
- H M S Bhaidarah, N K Anand, H C Chen “A numerical study of fluid flow and heat transfer characteristics in channels with staggered wavy walls”, Numer.heat transfer (2007) 877-898