Review On Performance of High Energy Ignition TechniquesAuthor(s) : Jubin V Jose, Sreenath V R
Volume & Issue : VOLUME 2 / 2015 , ISSUE 2
Page(s) : 7-13
ISSN (Online): 2394-3858
ISSN (Print) : 2394-3866
Ignition systems are the fundamental parts of spark ignition engines which determine the engine efficiency and pollutant emission. With the recent developments in engine technology significantly high spark energies are required. This paper reviews progress in alternative ignition systems that supply high energy sparks and more efficiently transfer energy to the gas mixture. The improvement in performance parameter of a spark plug such as net heat transfer rate, flame development time, exhaust gas emission rate are compared with conventional ignition systems. This paper also tries to identify critical research gap and also the advantages and limitations of advanced systems with reference to the advanced researches reported in this area.
Combustion, Engine, Exhaust Emission, Flame propagation, High Energy Ignition
- Maly R. and Vogel, M, (Initiation and propagation of flame fronts in Lean CH4-air mixtures by the three modes of the ignition spark-1978).
- Ziegler G.F.W, Wagner, E.P, Saggau, B, Maly R and Herden.W, (Influence of a breakdown ignition system on performance and emission characteristics-1984).
- Pischinger S and Heywood J.B (A study of flame development and engine performance with breakdown ignition systems in a visualization engine-1988).
- Yamamoto H, Horita.S and Matsuoka.T (Surrounding Combustion Process (SCP)-New concept for lean bum engine-1992)
- J.D. Dale, M.D. Checkela and P.R. Smyb(Application of high energy ignition systems to engines-1997).
- Ahmed A. Abdel-Rehim(Impact of spark plug number of ground electrodes on engine stability-2012).
- Benjamin Wolk A,Anthony DeFilippo , Jyh-Yuan Chen , Robert Dibble , Atsushi Nishiyama,Yuji Ikeda(Enhancement of flame development by microwave-assisted spark ignition in constant volume combustion chamber-2012).
- Mohamed H.Morsy (Review and recent developments of laser ignition for internal combustion engines applications-2013)
- DR. John burrows,Jim lykowski,Kristapher mixell (Corona ignition system for highly efficient gasoline engines-2013)
- Antonio Mariani,Fabrice Foucher(Radio frequency spark plug-An ignition system for modern internal combustion engines(2014).